Thursday, June 5, 2008

Barack Obono


In my world, music and politics are permanently intertwined. Chances are, you can probably say the same. After all, It just makes sense that the message you relate to in song, or the person you connect with on stage, is a reflection of your own personal beliefs. While I'm sure there's probably some McCain supporter out there who knows every word of "Fight the Power" just as there's an Obama fan who owns a Toby Keith T-shirt, I'd be willing to bet that those cases are few and far between.

For me, the point was driven home as I watched Barack Obama's speech from Tuesday night.

Now, as you can probably guess, I dig Obama. I like what he represents. He's captivated and inspired me—something I've greatly needed after the last eight years. But as he came to the stage the other night accompanied by U2's "Beautiful Day," I got goose bumps. Go ahead, make fun of me, I know it's cheezy, but I got the same feeling I get from some of the concerts I go to, a feeling that I'm a part of something bigger than myself.

It wasn't until that moment that I realized the similarities between the message and delivery of Barack to that of Bono. While both have been vilified and marginalized, there is an inherent optimism about them and an ability to "dream out loud" and see the world as it could be. It's the opposite of fear mongering, it's hope mongering. It's about looking for solutions rather than supplying answers.

So, while there's still a place in my heart that would like Al Gore to reclaim what's rightfully his, my gut tells me Barack is the person we need.

The times they are a-changin.

Update: So today I come in and find this on the Web Bob Dylan Backs Obama.

Spooky.

No comments: