Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Traumatic Tuesday

I can't remember the last time I cried in public, but Tuesday I was all-out crying like a crazy lady in front of Park's doctor and nurse. (I'd say "crying like a baby" here, but that so down-plays the trauma of Tuesday's events.)

Not only did we subject Park to five big ol' shots right in his tiny little thighs, but the little guy had part of his tongue clipped after we noticed several weeks ago that he couldn't stick it out. And what parent doesn't want their kid to be able to stick out their tongue at them? I know we're going to deserve it one of these days.

But before we even left the house for the appointment, Craig was carrying Park and lost his footing as he came down our hardwood steps. From the basement, all I heard was a thud and didn't think much of it ... until I came upstairs to hear Park wailing as if he'd just fallen down the stairs himself. Luckily, he hadn't. But Craig wasn't so lucky. The heroic dad he is, Craig sacrificed his body and shielded Park from the fall. Ouch.

Fast forward 20 minutes later where Park is being held down, clipped, poked and proded. The one bit of comic relief after it was all done was when the nurse commented that Park got so mad he snorted and "blew boogers" at her. I couldn't have been prouder. In fact, I was so proud and relieved it was all over that I completely overlooked the car seat handle when putting Park in his car seat to get the heck out of there and bonked his head on the thing. How much more abuse could this kid possibly take?

The munchkin got his first Band-aids after the shots, too: Hot Wheels and Spider Man.



After a good, long nap and several doses of Tylenol later, it was as if nothing had ever happened (for Park, anyway).



Can't wait to go back in two months for more!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Park,

What a little trooper to substain all that abuse from daddy,the doctor and nurse, then mommy.

You deserved those cool bandaides.

I bet Mommy was not the only basket case that day?

Million of kisses to dry those tears.

14344
Gma Barbie

Anonymous said...

You have certainly learned in one day the true meaning of "It hurts me more than it hurts you." Parenthood teaches empathy FAST!
Nancy L

Becky said...

Good thing Park won't remember a thing about today!

Anonymous said...

He's a trooper and Nancy's comment is so right...it hurts you way more than him. He's already forgotten about it.
(And, check out those cute, chubby thighs!)
Mimi

Anonymous said...

This sounds horrible! For you, I mean. He'll be fine. How's the tongue?
shayna