Thursday, October 29, 2009

Working to become the Switzerland of air travel.


I'll be the first to admit that flying across the country to attend a concert last week was probably a bit ridiculous … don't get me wrong, I would (and probably will) do it again, but it probably wasn't what most people would constitute as a completely "necessary" trip.

Recognizing that, I did some research into what it would take to ensure that our little excursion had as little of an impact on the environment as possible. Ultimately my research led me to purchase carbon credits for Carrie, Park and I as well as Carrie's parents who were flying out to meet us. For those of you who don't know, carbon credits are intangible products that differ in price depending on your activity (in this case, where we were traveling and how we were getting there) and the money generated by their sale goes toward a venture that either reduces carbon dioxide in the environment or produces a clean, alternative form of energy. There are a ton of companies out there offering these services, but for me, it was important to find one that was non-profit, certified and overseen by a third-party regulatory organization.

Based on this, I came up with two great options:

CarbonFund.org

Native Energy

Both met all of my criteria, plus they each worked with companies I respect and were endorsed by organizations such as the Sierra Club.

I ended up going with CarbonFund.org, simply because their Web site was a little easier to navigate, but I recommend checking out Native Energy due to the fact that their work is supporting a wind power project right here in Greensburg.

So how much did this all cost?

A whopping $18.

Seems like a small price to pay.

No comments: