Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What goes up must come down

Last weekend we were supposed to have house guests, but when plans fell through we found ourselves with time on our hands and no real excuse not to get something done around the house. There were a ton of things we'd been putting off for a while, but at the top of the list was a thorough cleaning of the garage (taking everything out, washing down the floors and reorganizing) and the much-needed task of putting a floor down in our attic to increase our storage space. After debating as to which job we wanted to do least, the weekend's forecast of rain decided things for us—and since the attic is really a one-man job, that meant I drew the short straw.

So after a quick morning workout (why would you want to be fresh and rested for a day of wrestling with plywood?) Carrie and I had to remove everything we had piled onto our 16 square-feet of attic floor space over the past eight years. From there, the rest of my day was spent playing John Cusack's role in Being John Malkovich while imbedding splitters in every piece of exposed skin on my body and inhaling large chunks of 60 year-old insulation.

All of that a aside, things went really smoothly and I was pretty happy with how things turned out.


So with two extra boards left over, I decided to lay a quick and dirty floor down in the attic above our garage (the other part is just off our bedroom).

Big mistake.

I should have known to call it quits when it took nearly every ounce of energy I had left just to get the boards through the opening in the garage's ceiling, but I carried on. Once I got up there, the space was a lot tighter than I thought and probably wasn't worth the effort, but I got everything in place and was ready to finish up when I needed to move a large box containing every book report Carrie wrote in the second grade along with the telephone bills from her first apartment.

That's when this happened.


To give you perspective, it's just over two feet in diameter—large enough for an adult male to fit his entire body through—although luckily I caught myself before finding out for sure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! Was that through the plywood you just installed? It sure looks like a lot of extra storage.
Mimi

Anonymous said...

Wow, I did not realize it was THAT big. The floor looks nice----I am jealous. So clean!

Now what is next?

mom

Craig, Carrie, Park, Zoe and Luka said...

Nope, not the new floor, just some really old and brittle sheet rock.

Anonymous said...

I do not know how you do it.

One day?

Has to come from your decipline/determination/dedication of marathron running.

You two set your minds to an idea and you follow through to the end.

Wish everyone could see the before and afters. They would appreciate your talents and hard work. Eight years vs. our thirty years--embarrassing.

43 mom

Jenna said...

Nothing feels quite as good as a project completed! Job well done! I'm sure you'll enjoy the extra space too!