Thursday, April 3, 2008

Weighing our options

The time is coming soon to trade-in our Xterra for a new SUV. I think we started the search last summer, but we're finally getting serious as summer approaches and it's the only car we take the dogs in -- we have two long road trips planned with them in the next few months. So, we need to make a decision. And we need your help. We haven't found the perfect car and because of that, our priorities keep changing. As we face a weekend of dealership hopping, we'd love to hear from you as to what you think we should make priority #1. Check out our poll to the right and tell us what you think.

Carrie

5 comments:

Greg said...

I'm a little disappointed. I told you about Hyundai last summer. Yet you haven't purchased one. Santa Fe's are pretty slick looking (did I actually say that?). http://usa.hyundai-motor.com/

But for you to pose that generic question of what car is best, I need more information about your use. Have you seen the Honda Element? You can hose out the back end (great for muddy dogs).

It's like me asking what is the best TV - plasma or LCD or DLP? You can't answer it. Too many variables. So I look forward to more information.

Craig, Carrie, Luka and Zoe Lindeman said...

Alright Mr. Hyundai (I can't believe your dad hasn't disowned you yet). What we're needing is something big enough to carry two, 50lb + dogs in the back and still have a little room for other stuff. Gas milage is pretty important to me, but there aren't a whole lot of options. I'd really like a hybrid, but the only viable option is the Toyota Highlander, which we really like, but aren't completely sold on yet. We've even talked about keeping our 9 year-old Xterra which has been great and just getting a Prius.

Anonymous said...

Just saw an add for the new Chevy Tahoe hybrid...is that too big for you guys?

Anonymous said...

since I am the only one who voted for "most room for dogs", I thought I'd put in my two cents. We love our forester. Have you seen the new models? Pretty cool looking! I don't know about mileage because we never drive it in chicago.... good luck! shayna

Alex said...

Voted Honda Element, for hose-out interior and Honda 4-cylinder gas mileage/reliability.

Before you buy a Hybrid, just remember the environmental impact the strip-mining of nickel (for the batteries) has. Not to sound like a hippy, but the industry misleads people a bit on how "environmentally friendly" they are.