Wednesday, April 22, 2009

There once was a dog …

A little over two years ago, my family was put in a tailspin by the untimely passing of an extremely important member. Princess Zeta Moon del Mundo (or Zeta for short) may have technically been Curt and Cheryl's dog, but over the years she was unofficially adopted by each and every one of us. She was ornery, funny, loving and downright beautiful … the kind of beauty that extended all of the way down to her soul.

Before meeting "Z", Carrie was a self-proclaimed "small dog person" but that all changed when early one morning Zeta hopped up on the bed where Carrie was sleeping and promptly sat down on her as if she was simply imposing her will on Carrie. Because of that moment—and many more to come—I have Zeta to thank for bringing Zoe and Luka into our lives.

When we lost her (and I truly mean "we") everyone was devestated, but none more than Curt and Cheryl. Zeta was such a huge part of their lives that her passing left a void that will never be replaced. Added to those emotions was the fact that they were preparing to start a family and now were faced with the reality that their children would never get to know Z.

And the more I thought about it, the more it bothered me too.

While I knew I could never bring her back from them, I came up with something I could do to keep a piece of her alive for future generations. So, without any previous experience, I set out to create a children's book in Z's memory.

From the very start, I knew I wanted the book to revolve around the period of time Curt, Cheryl and Zeta spent living and playing on their sailboat the Oread, traveling from Galveston Bay to Key West. I had heard them describe those months on the boat together as some of the best times they'd had in their lives and I spent the better part of a year trying to craft something I hoped was worthy of the experience. To help, I enlisted Johanna "Joey" Shoop one of the designers I work with here at WSU and someone who just happens to be an extremely talented fine artist and illustrator.

After a couple of months, I was ready to present a first draft to Curt, Cheryl (and now their daughter Hagen) for Christmas.

Fast forward several more months and the book is now a finished product … well, almost. While I have printed a few hardback versions, the book, titled "The Big Black Dog and the Big Blue Sea" is now in production and set to be published in late June/early July. It will be available through all major bookstores—Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc.—as well as through its very own Web site that's currently being developed (the best way to get a copy … if you'd like to get one).

Here's what it looks like.



Here's an inside spread.



And here's the inspiration.


We miss you Zeta.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the finished product. It looks beautiful! Will it really be in the big chain book stores?? How exciting. The illustration posted looks beautiful and I love the final picture of Zeta at the end. Congratulations on a job well done. I already know the copy is beautifully written.
mimi

Craig, Carrie, Park, Zoe and Luka said...

Thanks, I appreciate that.

The book will be available through the big chains, but that doesn't mean they'll actually have it on their shelves, we'll just have to wait and see about that. And while I printed a couple of copies in hardcover I ultimately decided to make it widely available in paperback form only in an attempt to keep the retail price down. Hardcover copies will still be available on a limited basis, but they're a little pricey.

big sis said...

Best book ever written!

Unknown said...

Holy cow Craig - what a beautiful idea - and a huge undertaking! I can't wait to see the final product. I'm sure Alejandro & Madison will each need a copy!

Anonymous said...

This is very cool. I want to buy it!! And who is Madison? Did Heather have another kid without telling us? shayna

Curt said...

You perfectly captured the essence of a great day, made memorable by the fact that it was spent with such a amazing friend and companion. The story in the book holds a special place in our hearts, as it was really our first opportunity to do all of the things that we had been dreaming about when we were planning the voyage. We cherished every day with Zeta. I'm glad that this day lives on.

The book was such a thoughtfull and wonderful gift. You are going to be a great dad!

Shannon said...

That is so thoughtful! What a beautiful gift.

Off to wipe the tears off my face...

:`)

Anonymous said...

Zeta was special and ornery.

She loved to tease.

She would steal things only to come close enough to show her prize, but far enough that you could not catch her.

One particular holiday, Zeta vanished to the bedroom to retrieve her most recent prize out of moms' suit case. "Z" proudly came to the family room,stopping squarely in front of her mom. Zeta knew exactly what she was doing. Her moms face turned beat red.Zeta turned on her heels, thinking that there would be a chase. There was. Upon catching "Z" Cheryl executed one of her famous spankings. Tap, Tap.

Barbie