Monday, December 14, 2009

Two reasons to adopt … not shop.

As some of you might know, I recently began volunteering at the Kansas Humane Society. It's something I'd been wanting to do for years, but my overly sensitive heart had kept my involvement strictly to yearly donations. So now that I've taken the next step, is it as hard as I thought? Yes and no. Sure, every time I go, something tugs at my soul and I almost always leave wishing I could take a couple of the temporary residents home. However, it's those same feelings and the encounters I've had that make me want to go back and do it again.

So far, my work has just consisted on walking dogs and the occasional clean up duty, but the thing I'm amazed with the most is the amount of training most of these dogs have. It's heartbreaking to see the relief on these dogs' faces when they finally get a chance to relieve themselves outside and the way many of them will sit on command. They truly are pets, just waiting for a place to call home.

Both Zoe and Luka are adopted (Luka from the Kansas Humane Society, Zoe from Texas by way of Curt and Cheryl) and I can't imagine our lives, or the world for that matter, without them. So please, the next time you're in need of a little companionship please consider adoption. Even if you are looking for a specific breed, check out your local humane society (you'd be surprised how many of their dogs are purebreds) or look into a breed-specific rescue.

Craig

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you...and a great reminder for everyone.