Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sew and Tell: Apron

I haven't been very good at a) sewing enough or b) showing what I sew, but here's the latest project I accomplished for Maisy's second birthday last month. What does every little future chef need in their wardrobe? That's right. An apron. Miss. Maisy was going to get a kitchen play set for her birthday so my sister asked that I make her an apron to go with it. Easy peasy. She also asked that I make a matching apron for her big sis Kailey. Not a problem. But why do these things always take more time than you think they will?

I don't have a picture of both girls wearing their aprons - it was hard enough to get the birthday girl to stand still for this photo. She was usually chasing after her cousin Park (especially because he was trying out all of her new toys). But I was happy with how these turned out and I think the color choice fit each girl perfectly. Yes, they're Wildcat fans, but I chose the fabric because it suited each personality and I thought they'd love the glitter in the solid pieces (which you really can't see in the photo).

In the process of making these, I learned that the instructions on McCall patterns are really bad. I've read sewing bloggers who prefer one brand of pattern over another, and I never got it until now. Maybe I just had a bad example, but the wording of some of the instructions didn't make sense and I questioned why I was doing certain steps. By the last three steps, I was just doing it my own way.

Happy 2nd birthday Maisy! I wish you many, many more!

3 comments:

Jenna said...

That is adorable! I love seeing your handiwork!

Anonymous said...

love it!! I have a photo of Kailey in her apron too, I will send it to you. they LOVE wearing these when they are cooking or just running around the house! thank you aunt Carrie!

Anonymous said...

How did you get her to stand still long enough to take this picture and I didn't realize Park was sooo much taller than her! Mimi