Thursday, December 29, 2011

Update

Yesterday afternoon we went to see the ENT who told us that I'm going to need an operation to not only remove the cyst, but the entire half of the thyroid it is attached to. This wasn't exactly the news we were expecting, in fact, we thought there was at least a possibility that they would just drain the thing in the office. Probably the most alarming part of the appointment was finding out that I'm less in the clear of cancer than I originally had thought due to the fact that I'm a male and the overall size of the cyst. The doctor gave it a one in five chance of being malignant (or as I would prefer to think of it: four in five chance it's benign).

Right now my operation is set for January 9 but it could move up. It's basically an out-patient procedure, but I may need to stay overnight for observation. If the biopsy comes back positive (I should have results in a couple of days) I would have to go back in and have the rest of my thyroid removed. If not, which I have every extremity crossed for, I should be fine and most likely wouldn't need any further treatment.

Here's hoping that the odds are in my favor.

Once again, I would just like to thank everyone for their love and support.

4 comments:

Ed & Leann said...

Craig & Carrie - Please know that we're thinking of both of you. We are here for you however, whatever and whenever needed.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is.... UGH. Hang in there guys. Shayna

Becky said...

I second Shayna's UGH. You are both on the top of my prayer list!

Theresa Johnson said...

Craig & Carrie, I pray for strength for you through this ordeal and for speedy healing. I pray for wisdom for the doctors treating you. I am so sorry that you are experiencing such hard times. Love to your family always.
Cousin-Theresa.