Wednesday, October 24, 2007

On the road again.

Today I got the green light to start running again. This comes after about three months of being restricted to a bike or one of those eliptical things at the Y. Intially, I was diagnosed with a stress fracture and was told to wear, what lovingly became known as, "the boot." Things seemed to get better, but some pain still remains. So today I went in to get a second opinion and another round of X-rays. Luckily this time it was concluded that it is more of an issue of how my foot pronates rather than an actual stress fracture. The downside is that there isn't a whole lot I can do about the pain other than take some aspirin and maybe get some orthopedics (not sure how cool I would look running in a pair of pair of beige Hush Puppies, but I'm sure it would make me run faster). So here I am, with no excuse not to run the Houston Half Marathon, however I do still plan on blaming this for my inability to keep up with Curt and Cheryl—who I'm pretty sure are now honorary citizens of Kenya. I just hope I can get all of this injury stuff out of the way rather than have it happen again the week before the run like it did when Carrie and I ran the Chicago Marathon, that just plain sucked.

Here's what my ankle looked like one week after that sprain and 26.2 miles before the finish line (the worst part was under the brace).


Yeah, I'm tough, just don't ask me to give a vile of blood, I'll wilt like a daisy (make that a pansy).

2 comments:

BT Express said...

That's great news! You have plenty of time to get ready for Houston.

Actually, I'm having some calf issues myself, and have been relegated to the eliptical for over a week.

Craig, Carrie, Luka and Zoe Lindeman said...

It took me a minute to comprehend your handle.