Thursday, November 8, 2007

Man's Best Kid



A colleague asked me yesterday if I was one of those "dog parents." You know, the kind of person who takes their family Christmas photo with their dog (guilty), or the type of person who dresses up their dog for holidays or, really, any occasion (guilty again), or the kind of person who lets their dog sleep on their bed when one of the humans is allergic to their dander and the other human always gets left with one foot of the mattress (guilty, and sleep deprived). Yep, that's us. Craig and I are dog parents. And we're not ashamed to admit it.

Zoe's been with us since 2002. She's a chocolate lab from Texas, and she's got the BIG attitude to prove it. She's a sensitive girl that seeks shelter under the kitchen table whenever the vacuum comes out or when our voices go up when watching a game on TV. But throw her a ball or Frisbee, and you'll be amazed at her athleticism. The girl can run. And run. And run. She's been known to play so hard we've had to carry her home from the park because she couldn't walk straight. She's a sweetheart, and she is definitely Craig's little girl. Some day we'll have to show you why she's earned the nickname, "Zo Boogie."

Then there's Luka. Our shadow, and a true mama's boy. One weekend in 2006, Craig and I visited the Kansas Humane Society just to check out the puppies needing homes. We should've known we wouldn't leave empty-handed. While we walked around looking at all the dogs, we noticed most of them were either jumping up on the door for attention or wrestling with their kennel mate. Not Luka. The little blond fur ball (named "Cutie" at the time) just sat at the back of his kennel and stared at us with a big smile on his face. To follow the trend in designer dog breeds, we like to call Luka a GOLLIE -- part golden retriever, part border collie. You also might call him a pain in Zoe's ass. But she's tolerated him from day one, and he worships the ground she laps him on.

Those are the kids. It's hard to believe they haven't made this blog sooner. Does that make us bad parents? Stay tuned for the 2007 Christmas card and more photos and stories to come.

5 comments:

Craig, Carrie, Luka and Zoe Lindeman said...

Carrie's post is just the tip of the iceberg as to what Zoe and Luka mean in our lives.

I've stayed home from work the past couple of days with a cold and have been reminded again as to why I love dogs (and especially these guys) so much. Yesterday Luka spent the whole day trying to kiss my nose (I've been really congested). And Zoe, who over the past couple of weeks has been sleeping downstairs, spent the last two nights by my side in bed. In fact, before I went to sleep last night, I whispered "thanks" to her and a moment later she lifted her paw and placed it on my shoulder.

Dog is My Co-Pilot.

Anonymous said...

You need a visit from Cobe to make you get up out of bead.

Unknown said...

Finally!!! I wondered when Zoe and Luke were going to bound into your blog. I can't wait to see your Christmas card this year. Tomorrow we are taking Luke and Solomon for photos with Santa ... we have definitely reached a new low! By the way, great photos!

Teresa Vz said...

I really dig the image in the middle. Very much like "Dynamism of a Dog on a Leash" by Balla. Can you say Futurism?

Misha said...

I have a dog that looks JUST like your Luka! and I'm also from Wichita :) but currently living in Raleigh, NC.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mishamc/2885702681/ is mine