Monday, December 17, 2007

That's the way the cookie crumbles


For the past four years, I've attended a friend's holiday cookie swap. It's a great time to catch up with old friends, make new ones, and go home with a dozen or so new cookies to share with Craig. At least that's what I thought the first year. Since then, I've wised up. All I care about is winning. Forget the small talk, hot apple cider and holiday happiness, I want the prize! And I don't care what category it's for: best tasting, most unique, best decorated. I'll take any of them. Really, just one of them would be great. You should see these prizes. They're always fancy packages filled with holiday goodies like a nice plate for cookies, warm fuzzy holiday socks, yummy scented candles, flavored hot cocoa, etc. At least that's what it looks like from the loser's perspective. Every year, I think I have a winner. Not even Martha could save me with her "year's best" pumpkin cookie two years ago. But this year, I thought I had it. I thought I had one of the more unique ideas: a chocolate turtle cookie. We spent hours baking the cookies, melting the caramels, drizzling the caramel, placing the pecan halves just right, melting the chocolate, and strategically placing the chocolate so that it wouldn't touch the pecan halves. But there I was Saturday, leaving with only my hands full of 3 dozen rejects and a few samples of the other cookies to remind me that I was, for the third year in a row, a cookie swap loser.

Carrie

P.S. If you think you have a winning recipe, send it my way.

No comments: