Sunday, May 11, 2008

Something to tide you over.

Once again, I'm here to apologize for our lack of posting lately. We've both been really busy lately and unfortunately none of the stuff we've been up to has been interesting enough to actually get us to fire up the computer. However that should change this week as we've got some good stuff on the horizon. Until then, as requested, here is the recipe for Craig's cranberry-walnut muscle muffins.

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup Splenda granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed Splenda brown sugar blend
2 tablespoons untoasted wheat germ
2 tablespoons oat bran
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 scoops Any Whey Protein (this stuff is formulated so that the protein won't degrade at high temperatures—and it's pretty much tasteless)
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspon vanilla extract
1 large egg (I use Egg Beaters)
1/2 cup boiling water

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center of the mixture. Then combine the milk, oil, vanilla and egg (I do this in a separate bowl) and add to the dry mixture. Add boiling water, stir and let stand for 15 minutes. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with fat-free cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FINALLY! Thank you.

shayna

Chloe said...

Thanks for this recipe! I bought some whole-wheat flour and haven't used it yet. I used to make muffins all the time but since we're trying to be healthier, I've been looking for a better alternative and this sounds great. I'll let you know how it goes!

Shannon said...

Above comment was me.

Anonymous said...

okay, so I just took the major step of ordering the any whey protein, even though the guy on the website freaks me out. I had to do it because I tried to make this other healthy muffin recipe this weekend, one with NO SUGAR OR SPLENDA, and they taste like crap. question: can I use toasted wheat germ instead? how about raisins?