Monday, August 25, 2008

Me and Mrs. C

This past Saturday was a big day for us. It ended with the birth of our niece Hagen, and it started with breakfast with everyone's favorite mom. We were at First Watch in Kansas City, and about 20 minutes into breakfast we noticed Marion Ross (aka Marion Cunningham, or Mrs. C, from "Happy Days") was sitting at a table about 15 feet away. Like most annoying, star-struck fans, we all looked at her at the same time. And she noticed. To my surprise, she waved, and then she walked over to our table to introduce herself as Sponge Bob's grandmother to my niece, Kailey (who had no idea who this stranger was or why she was claiming herself as part of Sponge Bob's family - after all, she wasn't wearing square pants or lived in the sea). But Marion was very friendly and complimentary of Kailey's looks. (I'm pretty sure she was drawn to her red hair.) I can't remember the rest of the conversation, but Marion eventually went back to her table and I was kicking myself that I didn't get a photo with her. This blog post would be much more boring without it. So I did what anyone would do for their blog readers, I went back to her table and asked for a photo. So here's Mrs. C and me. Would you believe she turns 80 this October?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys have the best luck with star sightings! How fun! I'm going to ignore the fact that you saw her in KC and that I didn't even get a phone call that you were here!

WZ

Craig, Carrie, Luka and Zoe Lindeman said...

I would like to point out that I was the first one to spot Mrs. C and casually discussed it with Carrie's Dad—it wasn't until others at the table overheard our conversation that a scene broke out culminating with Carrie's Mom double-arm waving at Marion.

Project Denneler said...

I know what Carrie's next hair color should be:
Happy Days Red

Damn, she looks great for 80!

Shannon said...

That's fantastic! And to have it be at First Watch (my favorite place for breakfast) is even better.