Thursday, August 21, 2008

sew and tell: aprons

My friend Sandra has this rule that when she bakes up a sweet treat and gives it to you in tupperware, you can't return the tupperware empty. Great rule, but whatever you do, it's going to be impossible to match her creativity or thoughtfulness. Especially when it was these pupcakes. So I've been hanging on to this tupperware for a while, waiting for inspiration. And finally, it hit me: make her an apron since she loves to bake. Easier said than done. It couldn't be just any apron. One of Sandra's favorite things is cupcakes, so I had to find fabric with a cool cupcake design. Three stores and two states later, I found it. I used the cupcake pattern for the pocket, waistband and ties, and a corresponding blue print for the skirt. The icing on the cake - or cupcake - was the pink pom-pom fringe for an accent.



On my quest for this fabric, I came across another print that screamed out my friend Lathi's name. So here's the second apron - slightly different variation on the pocket and lime green fringe for fun.



I originally thought these aprons would be fairly simple to pull together. I was wrong. They took me completely out of my comfort zone and I realized it too late to back out. I needed that. I now know how to use the gathering foot and the zipper foot. Now I just need to face my biggest fear: the zipper.

The best part about completing these came about 30 minutes after I gave them to the girls. We had girl's night on Tuesday, and after dinner and drinks, we spent some time at Barnes and Noble where Lathi and Sandra wore their aprons around the store. I think they liked the aprons, or maybe it was just the margarita.

1 comment:

Project Denneler said...

Sew freakin' cute!
I love, love, love my cupcake apron with pink, balled-fringe! And I can't bear to keep it stored in a drawer, awaiting my next baking adventure. I tied it around the back of one of my dining room chairs - It matches so perfect to the decor! You are genius in a thimble, my girl.

Thanks again, Carrie.