Wednesday, November 5, 2008

On the right side of history.

All politics aside, last night was historic. For me, and my entire generation, it was the first time we had a chance to witness (and become an active participant) in a positive aspect of American history. My grandparents witnessed the freeing of Europe, my parents saw man walk on the moon, but up to this point my connection to American history revolved solely around space shuttle explosions, wars, natural disasters—and of course one of the worst man-made disasters the world has ever seen. But now, no matter what happens from here on out, I can hold on to last night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may need to go out and purchase a flag lapel pin today.

The stars and stripes always invoked personal pride. However, much of that pride recently felt either largely historical (i.e., helping to free Europe of tyranny), or singular (i.e., men and women of our armed forces bravely fulfilling their duty, or particular athletes succeeding in the Olympics) in nature. The patriotism over the last number of years seemed to center more around outwardly-focused chest-thumping in response to the attacks on 9/11, than an inwardly-focused belief that through the combination of our individual aspirations and diversity and we could together realize dreams that could make the world a better place for all.

Regardless of where you stand on the political continuum, you should be proud that we live in a country where last night was possible. We can disagree on economic or foreign policy issues, but we can’t disagree that “We the people of the United States” has a more powerful meaning today than it did yesterday.

It is sometimes easy to dismiss words like “hope.” However, this country was founded on the prospect of hope and dreams, and it is the hope and dreams of its people from which I draw my patriotism. This morning I feel that America is back - as a source of pride for many of us who felt disenfranchised the last few years, and as a source of hope for many around the world. You could see it on the faces of the people flooding the streets from Chicago to Harlem, and from Dublin to Nyangoma Kogelo.

For the first time in a long time, I am eagerly anticipating the opportunities that tomorrow may bring.

For the first time in a long time, I feel like I am home.

Craig, Carrie, Luka and Zoe Lindeman said...

You stated my feeling much more eloquently than I ever could.

Thanks.