Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Easing into chaos

With the halfway marker of Carrie's pregnancy already just a spec in the rearview mirror, we're moving full-speed ahead in preparation for life on the other side of the birth canal. While a good portion of our energies are being poured into normal stuff like picking out baby furniture, discussing parenting techniques and acquiring prescriptions for medicinal marijuana (don't worry, it's for us, not him) we're also working hard to get Zoe and Luka adjusted to the idea of having a little brother. 

Their mental well-being has been something I've been obsessing over for months. And while the Internet is filled with all sorts of advice, it mainly revolves around what to do when you bring the baby home (and a lot of that seems like a bunch of crap—written by people who clearly see their dogs as "pets" not their nightly competition for covers). The little bit of useful information I have found online I've melded together into my own baby preparedness plan which consists of the following:

1) Subjecting the dogs to a daily marathon of "A Baby Story" on TLC which I'm hoping will slowly get them accustomed to the sounds they'll soon hear around the clock. I'm also hoping that they'll pick up on the finer nuances of changing diapers (after all, labs need jobs to be happy and really isn't that what this is all about?).

2) Playing sound bites from a CD of babies crying on iTunes that I haven't gotten myself to actually buy—mainly because I keep my iPod on "shuffle" and I'm not quite ready for a crying baby to interfere with my enjoyment. 

3) Giving Jackson the Bear overly dramatic airplane rides though the living room. This one is mainly for Luka, who tends to get a little jealous when he's not the center of attention. While affective, this activity may need to be moved to the basement due to the living room's five large picture windows and our neighbors' already shaky opinions.

And that's pretty much it. I guess it's not really so much a plan as it is a few random acts of lunacy, but that's the best I could come up with. If you've got any better ideas, let me know.


No comments: