Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Running is painful … so is not running


I've always heard about the "runner's high," a supposed feeling of ecstasy people feel after completing a good run. I may have experienced it once or twice, but to be honest, I'm not completely sure. I have however, definitively experienced the "runner's low."

Last weekend, Carrie ran the 5K portion of the inaugural Prairie Fire Wichita Marathon and we decided to hang around and enjoy the rest of the festivities as spectators. It was a great event (and I'm not just saying that because Carrie helped out with the PR). It was well run, the day was beautiful and a good crowd turned out. But as we stood there for a little over two hours watching people complete the half marathon, I got depressed, because as much as I loathe running (I really do), I love the challenge and the sense of accomplishment it gives me and I was envious of all the faces wrenched with pain glossed over by a big toothy grin as they approached the finish line. It's either that, or I'm just too damn competitive. Or both. Regardless, I've learned that don't like being on the sidelines—in anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

COMPETATIVE-----YES!

Curt and you have always been in a race of some kind. It is good brotherly fun, but I believe that either of you wants the other to get the best of themselves. You want the bragging rights.

Whether a computer game, sports, grades, it is a source for a good competetion.

BUT you did not figure you both would have partners that have the
same drive.

Good luck in your next run.

43 Mom