Monday, January 3, 2011

Glutton for punishment

I'm not really sure why I do some of the things I do, deep down, I must just really, really enjoy punishing myself. If that's true, then I don't think I want to know what I did to deserve my most recent penance, because not only have I decided it's time to run another marathon, I have decided to run a marathon that has required me to train throughout winter. This alone would be enough for some to classify me as clinically insane but I think it's important to point out that: 1) I hate being cold and 2) I don't really like running.

That said, I think you can safely draw the conclusion that I'm an idiot.

Originally I was signed up to do a half, something I've done the last three years, but my brother's attempt to not only run his first marathon but also qualify for Boston must have inspired me, because for some reason I started following the full-marathon training schedule a couple of months ago and eventually transferred over my registration to the full on the last day possible.

So now here I am, committed to something that should have me committed. I've tried to brave the elements as much as I can, but most of my time has been spent inside on the track. The day after Christmas, when it was a brisk 16 degrees outside, I ran my 18-miler on a track in Kansas City which added up to 180 laps. (Below is the pitch counter I used to keep track just for verification.)


I've got three weeks yet to go, but this week is hell week, culminating in a 20-mile run that I really need to do outside, if for nothing else, to ensure my mental conditioning. To help, I've got myself some brand spankin'-new shoes.


To be completely honest, the training really hasn't been that bad. The most difficult thing has been trying to schedule my workouts around Park's schedule so that I would not only be able to spend time with him, but avoid putting more of a burden onto Carrie (who, by the way, is running the half and kicking ass despite being pulled in 1,001 directions).

But back to the initial question of why I'm doing this. Last night I finished reading Hal Higdon's Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide and I was struck by a quote from a woman woman who had lost her husband to cancer who was asked the same question to which she answered "because I can."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LIKE THE QUOTE and ADMIRE YOUR
DEDERMINATION along with Curts.
The girls have strong wills, which get them through anything. BESIDES, they are women W-O-M-E-N!

Go you all, we will be rooting long distance, but hopefully our good vibes get through.

43 Mom

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you this frigid morning. Good vibes, I hope you're getting from here. Such dedication you have, others would have pulled up the covers, turned over and stayed in bed.
43 Mom & Dad