Tuesday, January 18, 2011

They Snooki'd my salmon!


For years I have heard that fresh-caught salmon is better for you than the farm-raised variety and it has always confused me. How could it be possible that fish raised in a controlled environment could be worse for you than the ones that grew up swimming in the crap that's found in nature? Well, apparently, it's pretty simple. The farmers "growing" fish are actually feeding them even worse crap. So much so, that farm-raised salmon lacks the omega-3 fatty acids that gives its flesh its pink hue. That's right, it's actually white. What's that, the farm-raised salmon you buy at the grocery store is pink? Well, guess what, it's artificially colored. The crap these farmers are feeding their fish actually comes with a set of color chips allowing them to select which shade of pink they want their fish to be. While I'm sure it's all completely safe (no one cares about profits that much, right) I think we'll be doing a little more fishing around before we fire up the stove next time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

scary, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I knew there was something fishy going on.

Hmmm-----color chips in varying shades of pink?

Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams?

Enviromentally safe, I am sure.

The AZ Zs said...

Stay away from anything that isn't "wild caught." You will pay close to $30 per pound for the healthy fish, so buyer beware if you're getting something less expensive. We have cut out fish altogether due to some research I have read. And don't even get me started on the Tyson chicken coming from China, yes China. We have found a local supplier of pastured eggs/chicken/grass fed beef in southern Arizona. Moral from this dietitian...
Know your farmer, know your food.
-Lori

Alex S. said...

It's also bad because it's not sustainable. Salmon are carnivorous, so they have to wild-catch other fish to feed the farmed salmon. I've heard it's up to an 8-1 ratio of feed fish to salmon yield.