Monday, May 23, 2011

Ku Ku for KuKuRuZa

I had a pleasant surprise waiting for me on our porch last week. (Honestly, I was going on two weeks of caring for a sick toddler so really anything would've been a pleasant surprise.) Along with the usual bills, junk and catelogs, our mail included a box addressed to me with a return address in Seattle from a cooky little gourmet popcorn company. KuKuRuZa.

It's no surprise I'm a fan of popcorn. Growing up, we named our first family dog (a fluffy white peek-a-poo) "Popcorn." As a kid, popcorn was a sixth food group (just kidding, mom) and I remember making it for every sleepover and movie-watching or just-hanging-out occasion. Sadly, my sister got a nasty burn from making it on the stove once. I played it safe and stuck with the microwave or air-popped variety. But KuKuRuZa is a bag of gourmet popcorn goodness all its own.

About two weeks ago, Craig and I ventured off our usual TV course of Piers Morgan or House Hunters and landed on the Cooking Channel. They were showing tasty little companies, including this crazy brand of popcorn with flavors like s'mores, bruschetta and jalapeno cheese. They had me at "s'mores."

Ahh, s'mores. Between summer camps and youth group events it was practically a seventh food group growing up. I have a friend who incorporated them into her wedding rehearsal dinner and I was jealous I couldn't steal her idea. I also introduced Craig to his first s'more over the grill on our trip to Colorado last summer. But I never would have thought about putting s'mores AND popcorn together. BRILLIANT!

Craig picked up on my excitement during the cooking show. I guess I was so wrapped up in what was going on at home with the sick kid that I completely forgot about the discovery ... making the package a bigger shock when it came in the mail.

Sweet husband. Sweet bowl of popcorn. (Thank goodness the nutritional information isn't printed on the bag.) I can't wait to try another variety -- maybe next time I'll share.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHH!

Sometimes, the smallest, most unexpected deeds mean the very most.

Jenna said...

YUM! I'm going to have to make you my famous kettle corn sometime. What a thoughtful husband! I'm definitely going to have to venture to that channel. AND...I think this company should give you a share of profits for your kind review of their product!

Anonymous said...

So refresh my old memory, but I (Booboo) do not remember burning myself while making popcorn. what's the story?

Nick Johns said...

Lovely husband and yummy popcorns.. have your tried popcorns by Thatchers Gourmet popcorn? That is my favorite popcorn brand.