Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

Like a lot of things lately, Mother's Day didn't exactly go as planned this year - kind of like Park's birthday, his birthday cake (a future post on that!) and his two-year photo shoot (why did I ever think a two-year-old would sit still for a photo?). I guess it's a good thing we're learning to be flexible and just roll with it.

Plan A: Craig got up before the sun (on a weekend!) to get in his long run. By the time Park and I were up, we found a beautiful orchid and card waiting for us (well, me) saying to wait on him and we'd kick-off the day going out to breakfast. Yum. Just as soon as I started salivating about having anything but the usual cereal, I got a call from Craig from the road that breakfast would have to wait for another time. He woke up not feeling so great but took a chance with his run and thought it might make him feel better. Not quite. After he made it home, he went straight to bed and we didn't see him for several hours.

Plan B: Instead of the hot cakes, french toast, hash browns or some other sinful breakfast I could treat myself to, I had the usual feast of cereal and fruit at home and gathered up the kids for a walk.



Determined not to sleep through the whole day, Craig gained enough strength to join Park and I for lunch (he deserves an Oscar for acting like he felt good). After a successful lunch without the toddler yelling or crawling out of his chair (yea!), we stopped by the park to visit the baby ducks and the slide.



Following Park's 3 1/2 hour nap (best mother's day gift ever!), we wrapped up the day with another enjoyable dinner out and some play time. Ok, so the long nap was a really nice treat, but I also love how Park is at an age where he wants to help me. Let's hear it for sweeping the driveway and watering the yard where I'm determined to grow grass! Gotta enjoy that while it lasts.





Really, I didn't care what we did yesterday. I was just happy to spend it with the little guy that makes my role as a mom the most rewarding and challenging adventure I've ever experienced. But next year? I'm taking Craig up on that offer for breakfast.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Loved reading the little write up about your day. And I really like that photo of your walk. It better make the family photo book!

Anonymous said...

What a helper Park is learning to be! That is priceless (along with the long nap). sorry Craig was sick. Mimi