Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The moral dilemmas of being a socially/environmentally conscious dad

It's probably no secret to you that I have some pretty passionate feelings about the world in which we live. I'll openly admit that I'm a tree hugger, a bleeding heart and yes … a liberal. I'm also a dad. A dad who takes his role extremely seriously and by that I mean there is nothing more important in this world than the happiness of my son.

Unfortunately at times, those two things are at odds. From plastic toys to animal shows, almost every day I'm faced with moral dilemmas regarding how Carrie and I are raising Park. It's a fine line between walking the walk and depriving our son. Compromises have to be made and sometimes it's hard … both ways. In the end, the goal is to raise Park to be the person we want him to be and give him a chance to live in the world we think he deserves. Sure, we know we probably won't have a huge impact on that last part, but by raising Park with an awareness of the world around him, maybe he will (and will be happy in the process).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To raise a family is hard.

To respect life, others and have morals that guide are important.

You will find that these qualities will be imitated.

You are doing a terrific job.

Need more Craigs and Carries in the world.