Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Life on the Run: A partial account

I've had my current Garmin Forerunner* a couple of years now, but the other day I stumbled upon a feature I've never noticed before, one that displayed my overall distance, time and calories-burnt totals. It was pretty amazing and kind of inspiring, especially considering 1) I haven't trained for a marathon using it 2) a lot of my training has been either indoors or on a track where it is completely useless and 3) I took about five months off this year.

Basically, I've run from Wichita to Fisher Branch, Canada (plus a few extra miles) and burnt enough calories to eat 753 Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies, which despite what my mom says, I probably actually consumed during the summer of 1988.

*A little side information, Garmin is founded by a Wichita State alum and their world headquarters is just down the road from Carrie's parents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and your Grandma O were the Little Debbie Oatmeal Cookie eaters. Since I did not believe in sugar cereal, I thought, I could condone your little cookie habit.

And by the way, I still think all those "want to be" Ding Dongs, Twinkies, Brownies are disgusting.

Good luck on your next run Thanksgiving. Stay well and injury free.

Mom

Jenna said...

Very interesting numbers. I agree with you, very, very inspiring. I knew Garmin was in KC, but had no idea it was founded by a WSU alum. Thanks for the interesting post!